Hi John and everyone,
I've been away from the forum for quite a while... but this thread brought me back, because when I think of having a dream guitar built, I immediately think of Avalon !
Like Brian, I also had an Avalon 12-string built for me, and the whole process of discussing woods, shapes and tone with Jim, getting pictures of the building process, and finally having the guitar in my hands was an unforgettable experience. So that guitar still feels very special every time I take it out of its case, and is indeed a dream come true.
But having your dream guitar and everything you need doesn't mean you stop dreaming... we humans seem to be made like that, at least I am
So what will it be ?
- I like ringing highs and deep bass, excellent balance, a warm but not too dark sound. So I think I'll stick to sitka spruce and Indian rosewood, though there is room for discussion here as I'm not familiar with many of the more unusual tonewoods Avalon uses. And I would love to discuss this !
- "S" / concert body shape for comfort and a focused sound. This will be a guitar for playing at home.
- the very soft 15th-fret cutaway that I remember from one of the one-offs that Avalon used to sell on Ebay and that were always a feast for the eye (I miss these !).
- a four-part wood rosette, that I think was also on that same model on Ebay.
- Back center strip
- dark stained 3-piece neck to match the rosewood on the back and sides. And the center piece of the neck should match the colour of the center piece of the back...
- the simple and tasteful Legacy series bindings and purflings without additional inlays BUT with the highest possible grade of woods !
- to be delivered on December, 26 (my birthday), hmmm no, that's too far away, so as soon as possible !